Dr. Carol Ann Hackley Endowed Internship Fund
"Tell me, I'll forget; show me, I may remember; involve me, I'll understand."
These were the opening words of Dr. Carol Ann (Hall) Hackley's Public Relations Class. This Chinese proverb outline the ethos of her style and intense intention to create an educational model that would serve her students in career and in life.
When PR Alumnus, Bill Floyd '94 learned of Dr. Hackley's 75th birthday, he aspired to do something extraordinary and initiated a gift via the Floyd Family Foundation to create and endowed internship fund to honor "Dr Mom's" legacy. His lead gift was the starting point and we would like you to join us as we honor a woman and mentor who inspired us personally and professionally.
Think about the internships you participated in or those of your classmates. Was it Edelman PR? PRSA, Perry Communications, LEWIS PR, St. Joseph's Medical Center, Navy League, Vogue Magazine or in the Nation's Capital. These experiences provided important experiential learning. An internship integrates knowledge and theory learned in the classroom with practical experience in a professional setting. Internships can also give students the opportunity to make connections in career fields that they are considering.
Highlights of an internship include:
- Gain valuable work experience before you graduate and experience new work environments
- Establish a strong work history and develop career-related skills and abilities
- Apply knowledge gained from coursework to on-the-job situations
- Reality-test tentative career choices and determine how your values fit into the workplace
- Meet and work with professionals in your field and establish contacts for references
- Gain a competitive edge for employment or graduate school admission
- Boost self-confidence
- Lead to practice ready graduates with skills that immediately transfer into professional workplace
The Dr. Carol Ann Hackley Endowed Internship Fund will provide monetary support for students participating in an internship. This financial support will allow for a paid internship experience and allow students who otherwise might not benefit from participation due to financial constraints.